Thursday, March 19, 2009

Traveling Light(ly)

When packing for a trip, I always try to travel light. I hate to check bags when I fly, so I have perfected packing for a week-long trip in a carry-on bag. Someone once advised me to take half as many clothes and twice as much money as I think I’ll need. Good advice, if you can follow it (harder to do if you’re taking ski clothes and equipment, though).

On the plane last Tuesday, it occurred to me that traveling light is a great metaphor for how to live:

Don’t carry too much baggage. Dress in layers. Be prepared for both good and bad weather. Look ahead, but don’t try to nail down every single detail of your trip. Don’t carry what you don’t need. Be flexible. Bring an extra pair of socks. Take advantage of unexpected opportunities that come your way. Manage unfortunate events. Carry your own bags. Ask for help when you need it. Leave a place in the same (or better) condition than you found it. Sleep when you need to. Learn to read a map. Dance when you feel like it. Ask for directions when you feel hopelessly lost. Eat well. Keep your eyes and ears open. Wear comfortable shoes.

Take your time. Enjoy the journey.

3 comments:

lucyfree said...

Love it, especially the inclusion of an Adverbial acknowledgment in the title, the hopelessly lost part, and the sharing of you.
xxxooo
lucy

Kathleen Dames said...

Do you ever wonder if you're the only one who tries to leave a place in the same (or better) shape as when you found it?

Edie Freedman said...

Indeed I do, from women's bathroom stalls to campgrounds to just about anywhere. People are pigs, by and large.